Aug 8, 2011

Vietnam - Information Minister and “term debt”

Minister Le Doan Hop shared with VietNamNet about his term as the commander of the information and communication sector.






What were the most impressive tasks that you did in your term?

In my five-years as the Minister of Information and Communications, I and my co-workers fulfilled 25 great tasks. I would like to emphasize the four most meaningful tasks.

Firstly, after 18 months of careful preparation, we submitted to the Prime Minister the project to quickly turn Vietnam into a powerful country in information and communications (ICT) by 2020. The project was ratified. If it is implemented successfully, Vietnam’s position in ICT the world.
Secondly, we successfully designed and defended our project to bring IT to the rural areas before the government and National Assembly. Of all tasks that the government must to do for farmers, providing them with information and knowledge is decisive to change their awareness and actions.
Thirdly, I was in charge of the compilation committees of four bills on Publication, Wireless Frequency, Telecommunications, Post and many by-law documents. All of these documents were approved. These are significant legal tools to develop the ICT sector, contributing the country’s development and integration.

Finally, successfully defending the assistance fund to attract talents for the ICT sector.

What are the biggest challenges of the Minister of Information and Communications in the new age? What undone tasks that make you worried most?

The biggest challenge for the leader of the communication, press and information the new age is working under great pressures.
As a leader of the press, the most interesting thing is knowing a lot of information, but the biggest worry is what I do is not on par with what I know.

The undone task that I wonder most is the establishment of the University of Information and Communications. However, I and my colleges have completed four related tasks: reporting the establishment of that university to the government, designing the project to call for investment and selecting the school location. We have acquired $50 million of ODA from South Korea in the fiscal year of 2013. We have also worked out the training direction for the university.

Based on these warm-up tasks, I believe that the successor will implement this project successfully in the near future.

You said when you took office that you would create an open pavement and journalists would walk on it. Could you talk more about this goal?

To facilitate operations of the press, I and other officials of the MoIC were determined to amend the Press Law. The law has been adjusted 16 times but it has not been approved by the National Assembly. However, I’ve tried my best to do necessary task for the press.

One of tasks that you committed to do during your term is completing the Press Law to give more freedom to the press and making conditions for the establishment of strong press groups but until now the Press Law has not been amended. Do you think that it is your “debt” to journalists? Why has the Press Law not been amended?

Yes, it is my “debt” to journalists. The reason I mentioned in the previous answer. However, I registered to put the law into the program to build laws and ordinances of the 13th National Assembly. Accordingly, the amended Publishing Law will be ratified in 2012, the amended Press Law in 2013 and the Law on Information Safety in 2014.
That is good news for my colleagues.

Why can you not fulfill some goals that you set in your terms? Is it because they are beyond your capability or your authority? Do you think that your successor needs more power?

There is always a gap between what we want to do and what we can do because policies are un-synchronous. The common matter of our public apparatus is tardiness. One of solutions for this problem is decentralization, to reduce works for the superior, raising the real power, self-reliance and dynamic for the inferior and speeding up tasks.

What is your personal plan after retirement?

My guideline for living after retirement includes “two things to forget, two things to remember and one thing must have.”

It is: forgetting age and diseases, remember who help me, my bosom comrades and colleagues, and continue to live usefully for myself, for my family and the society.
Retirement is a good chance for me to do what I like and take care of myself, my family and my friends after 43 years of working and 41 years as a party member.

I would like to give my best regards to VietNamNet’s readers!

Le Nhung

Business & Investment Opportunities
YourVietnamExpert is a division of Saigon Business Corporation Pte Ltd, Incorporated in Singapore since 1994. As Your Business Companion, we propose a range of services in Consulting, Investment and Management, focusing three main economic sectors: International PR; Healthcare & Wellness;and Tourism & Hospitality. We also propose Higher Education, as a bridge between educational structures and industries, by supporting international programs. Sign up with twitter to get news updates with @SaigonBusinessC. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment