Aug 3, 2011

Vietnam - Would you mind speaking up your own ideas?


I have been working and living in Vietnam for more than 2 years. I came here as a backpacker but this beautiful country attracted me so much that I decided to stay here for working and living.
It is said that Vietnam’s traffic is scary but I found it quite fascinating. I am surprised that, given the lack of rules and degree of chaos on the street, it is still quite safe to move around. Even though my company pays me to get transported by taxi, I still love to use motorbike for daily transportation. I usually travel to my friends’ house, cafĂ©, etc. by motorbike every Sunday morning to enjoy really peaceful moments in HCMC. However, I would be afraid of traveling to far distance locations by motorbike.

Many foreign people complain much about the food safety here, but I found it quite easy to eat nearly everything that is on offer. I do like to enjoy all kind of Vietnamese food, be it served in a luxurious restaurant or from a cheap street vendor around the corner. My favorite dish is bun cha gio, probably the best street food I have ever had all over the world.

The Vietnamese people are in general very friendly, positive and open to me as a foreigner. They are usually avoiding conflict, which has its good and bad sides. Especially in a business context, not raising the voice or not communicating problems can affect the work efficiency. In case there is something unclear or unpleasant about a specific task, the Vietnamese would usually not speak up or ask critical questions. Sometimes, they simply do nothing or do something completely different to what is instructed due to misunderstandings or feeling shy to ask questions.
As a manager, I want to have the best results from the employees, and the best results are only achieved if everybody in the team actively cooperates and gives their ideas. Leaders are also human beings, they can also make mistakes, and I appreciate employees who have the capability to give feedback, constructive criticism, or come up with their own ideas and solutions.

I know that Vietnamese people are famous for a hard-working and optimistic attitude. They could make more out of their potential if they would develop a more proactive and constructive way to communicate problems, or simply raise their own ideas more often.

One more thing that I notice about Vietnam is their tend to show off their wealth. For example, I used to see 2 different Lamborghini running across the streets in HCMC. I just wonder if the drivers know how these luxurious cars really function? There is no reason at all to drive such a car in a city like HCMC, where average speed is below 40 miles per hour. Obviously, for some people it is worth to pay hundred thousands of USD only to show off their wealth.

I have probably seen more luxurious cars in HCMC than in Zurich, the biggest city in Switzerland and one of the cities with the highest living standard worldwide.
However, overall Vietnam gives me a lot of very positive experiences, and I look forward to seeing this fascinating country improved day by day.
Lukas Mira (PhD in marketing, Swiss businessman)

Business & Investment Opportunities
YourVietnamExpert is a division of Saigon Business Corporation Pte Ltd, Incorporated in Singapore since 1994. As Your Business Companion, we propose a range of services in Consulting, Investment and Management, focusing three main economic sectors: International PR; Healthcare & Wellness;and Tourism & Hospitality. We also propose Higher Education, as a bridge between educational structures and industries, by supporting international programs. Sign up with twitter to get news updates with @SaigonBusinessC. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment