Sep 21, 2011

Vietnam - Criminals become younger, more brutal in Vietnam


A teenage boy who had dropped out of school after ninth grade killed three people and chopped off the hand of another to steal some gold in the northern province Bac Giang last month.

 My soi (the girl) leads a gang of 7 young boys to commit organized rape and robberry at her age of 17

The horrific murders and robbery shocked the nation.

The suspect Le Van Luyen is not even 18 yet and admitted his crime to police in detainment.

In May last year Nguyen Duc Nghia, 26, killed his ex-girlfriend after making love to her to steal her motorbike and other assets.

He then mutilated her face and finger tips in the hope of deceiving investigators.

Serious crimes including murders are not a new phenomenon in Vietnam and have been happening for long. But what is changing – and at an alarming rate, according to the police – is the profile of murderers.

Nguyen Minh Duc, deputy director of the Ministry of Public Security’s Center for Criminology and Crime Prevention, tells Tuoi Tre the average age of the criminals has decreasing rapidly.

Last decade most murderers were aged 30-45, but now 41 percent of all homicides are committed by people aged 18 to 30, a survey by the center of 4,000 killers between 1997 and 2010 found.

People in the 30-45 age group now account for only 34 percent of murders.

According to Cong An Nhan Dan (Police) magazine, there were 1,180 murders in 2009 and 1,339 last year.

In the past homicides were mostly the results of long-festering conflicts. Now people kill each other in bursts of rage, crimes of passion, Duc says.

Spine-chilling murder cases

HTT from the southern Dong Nai Province is a prisoner aged just around 20 in Thu Duc Prison in the central province of Binh Thuan.

She recalls her murder of her close friend: “I grabbed a knife and just wanted to kill her to satisfy my rage. I was not thinking of anything else.

“I was furious after coming to know that she stole my boyfriend and spoke ill of me to my friends.

“I stabbed her dozens of times till she passed out and died. I thought then she deserved such a death and calmly erased traces of the crime.

“Now I feel repentant but see many challenges in returning to normal life. I got 18 years in prison and have been here for three years.

“I only felt horror at my behavior a year after coming here.”


NTP of Ho Chi Minh City was jailed for 18 years for the murder of her close friend and robbery.

“I enjoyed going to the discotheque every night. One day my parents refused to give me money and so I thought of robbing my close friend of whom I was also jealous because she was better at studies.

“I went to her house, stabbed her, and stole her motorbike to get money to go dancing.

“Now I know that was wrong and I… have to pay the penalty for it,” she says with tears rolling down her cheeks.

HTN, 25, a prisoner in Dong Nai, says he feels great regret for his crimes of rape, murder, and robbery.

“I could not understand why I raped an 11-year-old girl near my house.”

HTN says he dropped out of school early and joined friends in his neighborhood to watch sex films and became obsessed with it. He has spent eight years out of a sentence of 18 years in jail.

“I loathe myself,” he says.

Source: Tuoi Tre




Business & Investment Opportunities
YourVietnamExpert is a division of Saigon Business Corporation Pte Ltd, Incorporated in Singapore since 1994. As Your Business Companion, we propose a range of services in Consulting, Investment and Management, focusing three main economic sectors: International PR; Healthcare & Wellness;and Tourism & Hospitality. We also propose Higher Education, as a bridge between educational structures and industries, by supporting international programs. Sign up with twitter to get news updates with @SaigonBusinessC. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment