Jan 22, 2012

Japan - Doctor with cerebral palsy helps others achieve independence



Pediatrician Shinichiro Kumagaya suffered a lack of oxygen during birth that left him with cerebral palsy.

Now, he tends to outpatients as a doctor, while as an adjunct lecturer he engages in disability research at the University of Tokyo's Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology.

Kumagaya talks about his career path.

The Yomiuri Shimbun: As a child, how did you feel about your disability?

Kumagaya: I naturally felt this is who I am, so I never found it hard to live like this. In my everyday life, my mother used to do everything for me. But she was very strict when it came to my daily physical therapy, and I found that stressful.

Q: What were your school days like in Yamaguchi Prefecture?

A: I liked school because I didn't have to undergo rehab there. I went to primary and middle schools near my house, so every day my mother drove me to and from school. She also used to come to school at every break to ask me if I needed to go to the restroom.

Q: As a child, how did you see your future?

A: I had this constant fear, thinking about how I'd live without my parents. So I was always thinking about what I could do. I liked math, so I began thinking about becoming a mathematician when I was in high school.

Q: So you left your family home to attend college at the University of Tokyo?

A: Initially, my mother was going to come with me. But then I thought if she did, she would never have let me go for good. Using some passages from the will author Ryunosuke Akutagawa wrote for his child, I convinced her [not to come with me]. The will basically said something like: "Even if your mother opposes you, you should never bend your resolve. Later it will be good for your mother, too."

Q: Were you able to live on your own so suddenly?

A: In the beginning, I couldn't sit on the toilet in my apartment on my own, and once I soiled myself. That day, I called my friends for help. But the most private part of my life was revealed to the public, and as a result, that made me think, "Yes, things will be all right." Now, I can ask passersby for assistance to get me to the toilet.

Q: What made you become a doctor?

A: I joined a group of people helping those with cerebral palsy. Having met so many people, my interests in people and society expanded.

Having dealt with the hearing-impaired, I came to realize the existence of invisible disabilities. Simply to learn more about it, I went to medical school. But in the course of my training, I met pediatricians whom I respected and decided to become a doctor myself.

Q: Wasn't it difficult for you to practice as a doctor?

A: As I can't move like able-bodied people do, I altered a stethoscope and other instruments, including the one for examining the inside of patients' mouths, specially for myself. Sometimes, child outpatients and their parents are surprised to see me in an electric wheelchair. But if I talk to them for a minute, I can build trust with them.

Having said that though, I'm still asking myself whether it's OK for a disabled person like me to practice as a doctor.

Q: Could you tell us about your research activities?

A: I became an adjunct lecturer two years ago. Now except for three days a week when I work in a private clinic, I engage in my studies. Among the invisible disabilities I'm interested in, I've been working on my research based on interviews with autistic people.

The cornerstone of my study is the idea of independence for the disabled. Society shouldn't exclude disabled people, blaming them for their disability. I'd like to point out the problems are with society [not with the disabled].

I'd love to continue my studies from this viewpoint, and hope to give something back to the medical world.

By Masaru Fujita
The Yomiuri Shimbun/Asia News Network



Business & Investment Opportunities
YourVietnamExpert is a division of Saigon Business Corporation Pte Ltd, Incorporated in Singapore since 1994. As Your Business Companion, we propose a range of services in Consulting, Investment and Management, focusing three main economic sectors: International PR; Healthcare & Wellness;and Tourism & Hospitality. We also propose Higher Education, as a bridge between educational structures and industries, by supporting international programs. Sign up with twitter to get news updates with @SaigonBusinessC. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment