Mar 13, 2012

Philippines - My First Job



MANILA, Philippines — Job opportunites may be scarce this days but this should not stop fresh graduates from applying and seeking for that very first job.

Ideally, the fresh grads would prefer working where their expertise is needed.

But the reality these days is that some choose to grab any job just to gain valuable experiences.

In this special graduation forum series, the Student and Campuses Bulletin staff asks personalities and succesful professionals about their first job experiences. They share their insights and the things they learned—big and small—from their first paying careers.

PETER MUSNGI, ABS-CBN Manila Radio Division head 

FIRST JOB: Shoeshine boy in elementary grades during Saturdays.

FIRST PAY: P10, enough to be my “extra” baon for the following week.

LESSON LEARNED: It taught me hard work and the tenacity to hold on to a dream. From the most humble beginnings, one appreciates more fully the shower of blessings.

SAM MILBY, actor

FIRSTJOB: Fast food crew. When Istarted working I was not allowed to work in the kitchen. Iwas working for Burger King as a cashier and cleaning the dining room.

FIRSTPAY: I don’t remember how I spent it but I bought more Burger King. For one summer, Iworked for Burger King, I gained 25 lbs., ‘yun lang ang kinakain ko for three months.

LESSON LEARNED: Eating fastfood makes you fat!!

KARYLLE PADILLA, singer and actress

FIRST JOB: Teaching kids in an arts workshop.

FIRST PAY: P2,000.

LESSON LEARNED: That was the alternate career Ithought of before, teaching kids. Ilearned that it was something I could also do.

CHRISTIAN BAUTISTA, singer and actor

FIRSTJOB: Landscaping for the church grounds of my church and on a garden of a relative. Pero parang kulang pa rin so Itook theater, extra ako. Idid odd jobs as talent, extra extra, nagbibigay ng handouts ng Sony sa mall, naka roller blades pa ako.

FIRSTPAY: P500 for singing a few songs in a wedding. Kinanta namin ‘yung kay Eric Benet and Tamia.

LESSON LEARNED: You have to enjoy your job because if you don’t, you won’t last.

RAUL SUNICO, Cultural Center of the Philippines president

FIRSTJOB: Computer programmer in a bank because Iwas one of the first graduates of computer programming in the Philippines.

FIRSTPAY: P450 a month and Iinvested it in the stock market. Even though Iwas already earning, I was still living in my parents’ house and everything was free.

LESSON LEARNED: I learned to be responsible. I learned to be sociable. And I learned to be ambitious.

DANG KOE, Autism Society Philippines chairman emeritus

FIRSTJOB: Training officer

FIRSTPAY: P1,350 a month but I can’t remember how I spent it, must be clothes.

LESSON LEARNED: I learned to deal with all kinds of people.

LUKE LANDRIGAN, professional surfer

FIRSTJOB: Surf instructor.

FIRSTPAY: P300 per hour. Isaved and used it for travelling to competitions.

LESSON LEARNED: That if Ienjoyed it, I’ll be better at it.

JAY JABONETA, blogger and social entrepreneur

FIRSTJOB: Management trainee in a pharmaceutical firm, specifically in sales.

FIRSTPAY: R22,000 a month. Funny story, so then I was new in Manila so Ihad no experience in luxury shops in Greenbelt. When Igot my first pay, pumunta agad ako ng Greenbelt, sabi ko bibili ako ng magandang damit so pasok ako ng Salvatore Ferragamo. May nagustuhan akong belt kaso ‘pag tingin ko R14,000! Nauwi ako sa Bench.

LESSON LEARNED: Considering the company closed after a year, it really stuck to me that nothing is permanent. Some people stay in jobs for many years, yes, you’re paid very well but you should also sometimes get out of the box.

THE SCB STAFF
mb.com.ph



Business & Investment Opportunities
YourVietnamExpert is a division of Saigon Business Corporation Pte Ltd, Incorporated in Singapore since 1994. As Your Business Companion, we propose a range of services in Consulting, Investment and Management, focusing three main economic sectors: International PR; Healthcare & Wellness;and Tourism & Hospitality. We also propose Higher Education, as a bridge between educational structures and industries, by supporting international programs. Sign up with twitter to get news updates with @SaigonBusinessC. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment