Jul 28, 2011

Vietnam - The small joys of daily life


Many Taiwanese friends do not understand why I love Vietnam although the country is still developing and it is not convenient living here as in Taiwan. I prefer staying here rather than my homeland, Taiwan, for many reasons.

Firstly, Vietnam is a lot like the Taipei I used to know in childhood. In Vietnam, I often go drinking sugar cane with my landlord. As we sit on plastic chairs, waiting for our drinks, I often turn to look at the streets and feel happy in my heart. In front of me are sights I saw from childhood back home: kids playing in the sunset and old people relaxing on chairs on the sidewalk. Such images from the good old times have been imprinted in my mind.



Secondly, the pace of life here is slower and less stressful than in Taipei. It seems to me that Taiwanese have to worry about many things in life and gradually become very cold to other people. But in Vietnam, strangers can sit around the same table and eat together. On the bus, everyone can start a conversation with a passenger next to them. Vietnamese are always ready to share their feelings to each other. No wonder life here is so fulfilling.


When I went to school in Taipei, I sometimes wanted to talk to friends during break time or befriend someone new. However, all I got were brief replies and my friends would continue to have their breakfast rather than talk to me.


Although life in Vietnam is not as convenient as in Taiwan, Vietnamese seem to have more joys. I myself always find something to live on every day. Nevertheless, I hope to see Vietnam grow as people say you cannot always live in the past. Development is necessary but I hope Vietnam will strike a balance between progress and happiness.
Vinh Huong (a Taiwanese editor living in Hanoi)

Business & Investment Opportunities
YourVietnamExpert is a division of Saigon Business Corporation Pte Ltd, Incorporated in Singapore since 1994. As Your Business Companion, we propose a range of services in Consulting, Investment and Management, focusing three main economic sectors: International PR; Healthcare & Wellness;and Tourism & Hospitality. We also propose Higher Education, as a bridge between educational structures and industries, by supporting international programs. Sign up with twitter to get news updates with @SaigonBusinessC. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment